And finally: Day 30 – Saddest character death
Character deaths are a common tearjerker. Writers spend inordinate amounts of time and talent convincing us to care about their characters, then love to kick us in the gut by killing them off.
So which one do I think was the saddest?
Look at the name of my blog.
RAH crafted the perfect death scene for Mike.
- “Kill” Adam Selene during the Terran invasion so that he dies as a martyr. Talk about foreshadowing
- After the fighting dies down, Mike just isn’t “there.”
- Mannie takes weeks to get to the Authority Complex to examine Mike.
- Mannie and Wyo have trouble letting him go.
- Sometimes, Mannie thinks he hears Mike calling him. Thinks he might be lost or just scared.
As many times as I’ve read The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Mike’s death still moves me.