Just Say NO to Public Transportation
Why do I dislike Public Transportation?
1. The sanctimonious jerks that keep pushing it as a solution to the evil automobile. The ones bemoaning America’s love affair with personal transportation and the open road, and determined to put an end to it.
2. My life is composed of a limited amount of time. I live about 20 miles from work. Depending on traffic, my commute is 30-60 minutes. If I could take a(non-existent) light rail to work, I would still have a commute of:
- a minimum of 30 minutes travel time (assuming non-stop)
- plus the 20 minutes travel from my home to the station
- plus boarding time (5-15 minutes)
- plus de-boarding time (5 minutes)
- plus 20 minutes walking time from the station to my place of work
Giving a minimum of 80 minutes, each way. And that’s ignoring the cost of the train to build and maintain, routine delays, and having to walk in summer heat, spring rain, and winter snowstorms.
3. This morning on the news, some school districts are reducing the number of bus routes due to budget constraints. As I was growing up, cutting bus routes was a routine way of punishing parents for failing to vote for the numerous tax increases desired by the school board. Public Transportation was used as leverage by the “public servants” over the taxpayers.
So I will keep my car despite the high cost of gas and maintain some level of independence.
Entry filed under: Politics.